Thursday, July 28, 2011

Impact of National Broadband Network in Canberra

Dr Ian Oppermann, Director of the CSIRO ICT Centre will talk on A National Broadband Network for Australia, at an Australian Computer Society meeting in Canberra, 10th August 2011.

Dr Oppermann will also speak in Melbourne 3 August 2011 and Sydney 29 August 2011. On the same topic, Dr Darrell Williamson, Director CSIRO eResearch program, will speak in Darwin 8 September 2011, Adelaide 28 September 2011 and Perth 16 August 2011. Dr Alex Zelinsky, CSIRO Group Executive of Information Sciences will speak in Brisbane 13 September 2011.
Education Across the National

A National Broadband Network for Australia

The Australian Government's National Broadband Network (NBN) aims to deliver broadband communications to Australians by connecting 100 % of homes, schools and businesses. A total of 93 % of premises will be connected using fibre to the home (FTTH) technology, initially offering data speeds of 100 Mbps and supporting future enhancements in excess of 100 Mbps. The remaining 7 % of premises in Australia will be connected using terrestrial fixed wireless or satellite wireless technology as appropriate. It is likely that high speed broadband will offer a transformation at a scale similar to that followed in the introduction of the electricity grid and railway networks in Australia - creating new business opportunities of considerable economic value. People in Australia will be able to benefit from, and contribute to, the growing range of 21st century services irrespective of where they live, and helping to overcome 'tyranny of distance'. By removing distance as a disadvantage for living in rural and regional areas, this may help to reverse the trend towards increasing urbanisation in Australia.

The presentation will provide a brief overview of the opportunity for innovation on Australia's new broadband infrastructure. It will suggest benefits that will accrue from the infrastructure investment in areas of Government services (including health, education and social inclusion) and industry, and support these suggestions with current and past work that has been undertaken by CSIRO using experimental broadband networks.

Biography: Dr Ian Oppermann

Dr Ian Oppermann is with Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO, as Director of its ICT Centre. The Centre is a business unit within CSIRO addressing major scientific challenges in Wireless Communications, Robotics, Information Theory, environmental sensing and eHealth.

Prior to CSIRO, Ian headed Sales Partnering for Nokia Siemens Networks’ software business, and was Director of Radio Access Performance Business at Nokia. Prior to joining Nokia, Ian was director of the Centre for Wireless Communications, a research centre in Finland.

Ian has contributed to six books as editor or chapter author, authored or co-authored approximately 30 journal and 90 conference papers.

Ian has a Doctor of Philosophy in electrical engineering from Sydney University and an MBA from the University of London. Ian is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers Australia, a Senior Member of the IEEE and a member of the Australian Instituted of Company Directors.

Ian was born in Maryborough Queensland and is a proud supporter of the mighty Maroons. ...

No comments: