By the end of this course participants should:
- recognise the opportunities and challenges provided by digital recordkeeping
- define which digital records to make and capture into digital recordkeeping systems, including web records
- understand the role of metadata in the management of digital records
- define best practice in the creation and disposal of digital records, and
- understand preservation requirements and strategies for digital records.
- the opportunities and challenges of keeping records in digital form
· what are recordkeeping systems and why is it important to keep records in recordkeeping systems
· requirements of the Standard on digital recordkeeping in relation to recordkeeping systems
· how to define what records to make and keep
- what is metadata and recordkeeping metadata
- why is metadata vital to good recordkeeping
- requirements of the Standard on digital recordkeeping in relation to metadata
- what constitutes good and bad metadata
Best practice in the creation and disposal of digital records
- what is 'best practice' in relation to the creation of digital records
- some practical tips to improve digital records creation
- scenarios for appraisal and disposal in the digital environment
- the destruction of digital records or their retention as State archives
Website recordkeeping strategy
- designing a recordkeeping strategy for web records
Preservation of digital records
- the issues with preservation and what can be done now
- the NSW Government's approach to the preservation of digital records
This one-day course will be held from 9am to 4:30pm on the following days in Sydney and regional NSW:
- 24 February - Newcastle
- 29 March - Sydney Records Centre
- 30 March - Wagga Wagga
- 9 May - Sydney Records Centre
- 24 June - Sydney Records Centre
- 26 July - Sydney Records Centre
- 18 August - Sydney Records Centre
- 9 September - Tamworth
- 24 November - Sydney Records Centre
$330 (including GST) per participant.
A 10% discount is available for any additional attendees from the same organisation registering on the same registration form.
Payments may be made via Purchase Orders, EFT, Visa, MasterCard or cheque.
Go to our online registration page at: http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=924436
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Managing Digital Records Course
State Records NSW is running a course in ‘Managing Digital Records: An Introduction’, staring in late February 2011. They also provide (and a pre-requisite for the face to face course) free e-learning modules online in Digital recordkeeping concepts and framework for recordkeeping in the NSW public sector.