Tom Worthington will speak on MOOCs with Books: Syncronisation of large scale asynchronous e-learning, 4pm to 5pm, Monday, 8 July 2013, in the CSIRO Seminar Room, CSIT building, on the ANU Campus, North Road, Canberra.
A quiet revolution is taking place in Australia's schools, TAFEs and universities, with education moving on-line. Award winning education designer Tom Worthington will provide an overview of the trends and its implications for education:
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCS)
- Social media for education
- Open Source e-Portfolio software
- Cloud based Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- e-Book textbooks
- Portable course-ware formats
Tom Worthington is an independent ICT consultant and an adjunct lecturer in computer science at the Australian National University.
Tom designed the on-line sustainability courses for both the ACS certification program and the ANU Master of IT. In 1999 he was elected a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society for his contribution to the development of public Internet policy. Tom is a Past President of the Australian Computer Society, Fellow, Honorary Life Member and Certified Computer Professional, as well as a voting member of the Association for Computing Machinery and a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Synchronizing Asynchronous Learning: Combining Synchronous and Asynchronous Techniques
- A Green Computing Professional Education Course Online
- On-line Professional Education For Australian Research-Intensive Universities in the Asian Century
IR and Friends is a discussion group for people working in information retrieval, data mining and document computing fields. Everyone is welcome. We meet every second Monday, from 4-5pm, in the CSIRO seminar room in the ANU CS&IT building. CSIRO are kind enough to provide wine (and soft drinks) and cheese.
"IR and friends" aims to encourage discussion between people working in similar fields; to provide a venue for feedback on work in progress; and to get people from different groups talking to each other.