Greetings from the Australian National University, where crime fiction author Ian Rankin in conversation with former ANU Librarian Colin Steele. Ian started by explaining the five year gap between his latest Rebus novel Standing in Another Man's Grave and the previous one. The book are set in real time and Rebus had reached the retirement age for a Scottish detective, so the author retired the character. The return is explained by a change in retirement age.
"Sean Connery!". What he had seen is Neville Dawson's 1982, Portrait of Manning Clark, the professor after whom the building is named.
The painting has some resemblance to Conney. This then brought on a reminiscence, complete with Connery accent, about how the famous actor had expressed a wish to play the character Rebus in a film.
This was an entertaining evening for
Rankin fans. He will also be appearing:
- Tuesday 20 November, 6 – 7pm – Brisbane Writers Festival, In conversation. Venue: Brisbane Powerhouse: http://www.brisbanepowerhouse.org/events/view/ian-rankin/
- Wednesday 21 November,1 - 2pm – Writers at Stanton Library. Venue: Stanton Library, 234 Miller Street, NORTH SYDNEY. Format: 20 minute talk, Q&A, signing session.Tickets: free: http://www.constantreader.com.au/events.php
- Wednesday 21 November, 7 – 8pm - Mosman Library evening with Ian Rankin. Venue: Mosman Library, 605 Military Road Mosman, NSW 2088. Ticket: http://www.pagesandpages.com.au/authorevents.htm
- Thursday 22 November, 7 – 8.30pm – Ian Rankin at the Leichhardt Town Hall,Venue: Leichhardt Town Hall, Tickets: free but booking essential: http://www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au/SPContent.aspx?PageID=34&ItemID=1077&count=1
- Friday 23 November,12 – 3pm – Dymocks Literary Lunch. Venue: Sofitel Wentworth Ballroom, 61 Philip Street Sydney. To book: www.dymocks.com.au/literaryevents
Post a Comment