eGovernment in Developing Nations
ICT Management Workshop/Training Resources
- IT Doesn't Matter, Nicholas G. Carr
- ROI in the public sector: myths and realities
- eGovernment, Public Sector reform, and Poverty Reduction
- Traditional ROI Measures Will Fail in Government
- eGovernment Legislation, Regulation and Policy
- eGovernment Services
- eGovernment Resources (UNECA)
- The ICT Investment Framework
- A Guide to ICT Sourcing for Australian Government Agencies. Developing and Executing an ICT Sourcing Strategy. Second Edition. September 2007. AS/NZS 4360:2004 Risk Management
- Business Case Guide. A Guide to developing ICT business cases with comprehensive planning and analysis of the project’s demand, value and costs. September 2006.
- The Australian Government Information Management Office
- e-Government & Information Management
- ICT Business Case Guide
- ICT investment framework
- Project and program management resources
- The Guide to ICT sourcing
- The IT Governance Institute (ITGI) business case process
- Business Case fitness for purpose checklist
- UK OGC business case process
- Risk Management
- CMMI Models
- CMMI Acquisition
- CMMI Development
4 PSLP Project Management [PDF]
Project Management Bodies
- The Project Management Institute
- The Australian Institute of Project Management
PRINCE2 - the APM Group
- Defining the future of Project Management (Video)
General Project Management Resources
ProjectMinds Gantthead – the online community for IT project managers
4 Managing the Outcomes [PDF]
- The Performance Management element of Free Management Library. Provides a good overview of Performance Management and a list of resources and related links
- Wikipedia’s page on Performance Management. Draws important distinction between Performance Management and Performance Measurement. List of resources and further links included.
- The Performance Management advice provided by the Australian Government Information Management Office. Brief, but focused on ICT.
- A comprehensive introduction to Critical Success Factors and how to identify them. Prepared by RapidBI, an independent (apparently) group of business improvement specialists. Includes templates and guidance for creating your own CSFs.
- A brief introduction to Key Performance Indicators by the RapidBI business improvement specialists.
- Wikipedia’s page on Critical Success Factors. Not heavily developed, but good summary. List of resources included.
- Wikipedia’s page on Key Performance Indicators. Not heavily developed, but good summary. Links to repositories of KPIs!
- An online repository of Key Performance Indicators, although none on ICTs specifically.
- Australian Government catalogue of performance indicators for ICT
- An online repository of business-related dashboards that provide details of KPIs in a familiar fashion.
- Wikipedia’s page on Information System Dashboards. Some useful links and ideas on how to present indicator information easily.
- The IT Metrics and Productivity Institute that focuses on metrics for software development, but provides insights into broader ICT performance indicators.
- Introduction to Benefits Realisation Management from a Project management Training group in the UK. Includes some links to further references.
- The UK Office for Government Commerce’s (OGC’s) Benefits Management guide. Excellent overview of Benefits management from a consistently high-quality source of government management advice.
- The UK OGC’s Summary of Benefits management for Senior Managers. Excellent short synopsis.
- A Guideline to building Benefits Realisation Registers for ICT projects created by the NSW Government Chief Information Office in 2004.
- An introduction to the Investment Logic Map concept used within the Victorian Government in Australia. Closely related to benefits realisation and specifically designed to accommodate cross-agency costs and benefits considerations.
- The primary site for the Victorian Government’s Investment Management Standard; a best practice method for managing the investment and realisation of benefits.
- The official website of the Information Technology Infrastructure Library. NB: the details of ITIL must be purchased; they are not available free-to-the public.
- Wikipedia’s brief summation of the new version of ITIL
- The ITIL Open Guide—a collaborative community ‘version’ of ITIL.
- The IT Service Management Forum International – primary ‘professional’ body for ITIL practitioners. Closely aligned with the OGC in developing and promulgating ITIL.
- The IT Metrics and Performance Management Institute’s resource page on IT Governance.
- Wikipedia’s view on ICT Governance, which includes a long list of references and external links.
- An Australian ‘Professional’ body that promotes value management. The link points to the organisation’s definitions of Value Management.
- AusAID’s resource on Value Management for Sustainable Development. Points to other international links
- Self-proclaimed as: “the premier international society devoted to the advancement and promotion of the value methodology”
From: "ICT Management Handbook - A Guide for Government officers in Bangladesh", Training Resources, PSLP 2008
- Weill, P. and J.W. Ross (2004) IT governance: How Top Performers Manage IT Decision Rights for Superior Results, Watertown, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Weill, P. and J.W. Ross (2005) “A Matrixed Approach to Designing IT Governance”, Sloan Management Review (46)2, pp. 26-34.
Photos by Obaidul Huqe available.