ACS Canberra endorsed DAMA event:
Building Australia's Premier Corporate Emissions and Energy Dataset Making Sense of Complex Data from Multiple Databases for Multiple Programs
Established in 2012, the Clean Energy Regulator (CER) is the government body responsible for administering legislation that will reduce carbon emissions and increase the use of clean energy. The CER administers the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme (NGERS), the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF), the Carbon Pricing Mechanism (CPM), the Australian National Registry of Emissions Units and the Renewable Energy Target. This talk focuses primarily on the many challenges of developing the NGERS corporate greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption and energy production dataset and reporting solution:
- Consolidating data from 6 years in 4 instances of a legacy data entry system and in 1 instance of a new data entry system under concurrent development;
- Making sense of complex data for all major fuel combustion and industrial processes for thousands of Australian facilities under legislated reporting rules that change every year;
- Overcoming technical challenges including building a new enterprise data warehouse, consolidating the data and building an externally facing reporting portal; • Overcoming business challenges including setting up a data management group and data policies, and getting buy-in from key players;
- Meeting reporting needs for multiple users and programs: CER as data user for administration of NGERS, ERF and the CPM, CER as publisher of certain public data on its website, and CER as data provider to other Commonwealth, state and territory agencies for policy development, program administration and international energy and climate change reporting; and
- Steering the project through the maturing governance processes of a new agency under pressure to deliver politically contested programs in a very short timeframe.
BiographyOlga Lysenko Olga Lysenko is currently the Head of the Office of the CIO at the Clean Energy Regulator (CER). Prior to this she was the Executive Officer to the Chair and CEO of the CER. Before taking up that post she was the Director of the Business Intelligence area in IT where she established the Business Intelligence Section at the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency in 2010 and transitioned it to the CER when it was established in 2012.
Rino Ciaccia is a data management professional currently employed as Principal Consultant at RXP Services, based in Canberra. He has over 25 years’ experience in designing and building data management solutions both locally and abroad. He worked with Reuters in Australia and then Singapore providing software support for the development and maintenance of financial data products covering: fixed interest securities, equities, money, commodities and futures.
Jeremy O’Keefe Jeremy O’Keefe has managed the Business Intelligence Section at the CER since 2013, building up the CER’s Enterprise Data Warehouse and BI reporting capabilities for NGERS and other datasets. He has worked on climate change policy and programs since 1998 including setting up Carbon Price Mechanism registration and reporting processes, managing registrations and emissions reporting under the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007, running tenders for ETS auctions and the ANREU (national register of carbon units), compiling emissions estimates for Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts, compiling economic projections of Australia’s emissions for electricity generation, agriculture and other sectors, and providing policy advice on emissions trading and carbon sinks.
very informative, thx :-)
Post a Comment